Sunday, January 13, 2008

Second Attempt at Strawberry Jam Swiss Roll



Makes 1 Swiss roll

IngredientsAmounts
Eggs
492g
Sugar
251g
Cake flour
209g
Vanilla Exract
2 Tsp
Oil
73g
Fresh Milk
63g
* I halved the ingredients for a smaller roll*

  1. Sift the flour and vanilla extract. Set aside.

  2. In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugar together. Mix the combination on high speed till the mixture is well combined. The color of the mixture should reflects a Pale yellowish colour and you can see very clear ribbon tracks.

  3. Tune the speed to medium and continue to mix the egg mixture. With the help of a spatula, scoop the mixture up and if the mixture only drips every 2~3 seconds, it means that the egg mixture is ready.

  4. Stir in the sifted flour and combine into a cake batter.

  5. In a small bowl, blend the milk and oil together, making sure they are fully blended with each other. Scoop a small portion of the cake batter and mixed into the oil-milk mixture. Combine well.

  6. Add the combined batter to the remaining batter and mix well.

  7. Layered a sheet of greaseproof paper onto the baking tray. Pour the cake batter onto it and bring to bake at 180 degree Celsius for 20 ~ 25 mins.

  8. Leave to cool for a while and try rolling the cake up. Un-roll the cake and leave to cool fully.

  9. Spread the strawberry jam onto the cake and roll up. Chilled in the fridge for 30 mins before serving.






After the last time I tried Strawberry Swiss roll which somehow demoralized me a little. I decided to re-attempt it again! This time round, I used another cake recipe from the book <大人小孩都愛的海綿蛋糕>. I got this book from PageOne on Friday while at Vivo City waiting for my Prince Charming. This book is truly awesome! They had photo illustrations to show you how you should really get done with the cake.

One thing that I had a little with this book was that most of the time, they use grams for the ingredients even with the eggs! Because different eggs has different weight, it's hard to gauge the correct weight. I had to estimate most of the time.

Nevertheless, the cake came out well. At least you can tell its a sponge cake! LOL! The cake was quite fluffy but I wouldn't say REAL fluffy. I think I have to practice more on Sponge cake baking. Prince Charming was attracted by my Swiss rolls this time and he even "volunteered"
to try them out. LOL.

He commented that the cake was awesome because it is really very spongy. I had it for my breakfast this morning and I can say, I FINALLY SUCCEEDED! Thank god, Amen.

2 comments:

Aimei said...

Hey Mrs Kwok your swiss roll looks so yummy! I really feel like taking a slice LOL. For your previous attempt, I think probably you pressed it too hard while rolling? I kinda felt that sponge cake using separation of eggs tend to be very delicate in texture, thus when you pressed it too hard, it gets compacted.

Nevertheless it's good attempt! Better than mine which cracked and I had to turn it into normal cake slices and sandwiched them between jam only :l

I find that many books had different methods of rolling. Some called for it to be competely cooled while others had to be rolled while warm, unroll then roll again. So confusing! Any idea which way is better??

Happy Mrs Kwok said...

Hi Aimei,

Indeed, I get confused many times because of the different method performed by different recipe books.

Actually, the sponge cake that I attempted from the 1st time seriously doesn't look like a sponge cake at all. LOL! It's kind of hard and elastic *EeeKs* It was lucky that the taste was alright so it's quite edible.

The second attempt I can say is much easier because like you said, using recipes that has separation of egg whites and egg yolks are generally harder.

Basically, I find that to roll the cake well. Allow the cake to cool fro some moments and try rolling it up when it's slightly warm. Remember to unroll it and flip it onto another side. I missed out that step and my sponge cake was sticked to the grease-proof paper due to the water vapour evaporated out by the heat. Thats why you could see a small crack at some of the slices. :P

Then after which, you allow the cake to cool completely before applying any cream or jam. I think so far this is the best and workable method I've used. Maybe you can give it a try ;)