Thursday, December 20, 2007

Red Bean Mochi




Makes 12 Mochi

IngredientsAmounts
Glutinous Flour300g
Warm water200g
Sugar100g
Corn FlourA handful
Salad Oil1 Tbsp

Filling: Red bean paste
(I cooked the paste myself, you may get this in Phoon huat if you don't feel like spending time cooking it)

  1. Combine the flour, water and sugar together. Mix into a dough and knead till it is smooth and non-sticky.

  2. Bring the dough to steam. Chopsticks will come out with a transparent mixture when the dough is ready.

  3. Bring out the dough and put it a bowl grease with oil. Knead the dough till it becomes soft and spongy. Remember to use a glove when doing so as the dough is very hot.

  4. Cut the dough into small pieces and flatten it. Fill the center of the flattened dough with red bean paste and wrap it up.

  5. Coat the ready mochi with corn flour.

Red Bean Paste

You will need:

  • Red beans (1 packet)
  • Sugar (1 cup)
  1. Cook the red beans in a pot water till the beans become very soft. It took me half an hr to get it really soft.

  2. Drain any excess water from the red bean and combine the sugar. Stir constantly to make sure that the sugar get eaten into the red bean mixture.

  3. Leave to cook and fride it for usage.





I was watching one program from SCV a couple of days ago and they were teaching how to make Mochi at home. The steps looked simple thus I decided to try my hand on it since its not a working day.

I can say that kneading the dough is a tedious job because glutinous flour has a very sticky texture and it makes it very hard to knead when combine with water. Anyway, the mochi tasted good except that I need to improve my wrapping skills!

No comments: