Saturday, December 01, 2007

Korean Bibimbap and kimchi soup




Makes 2 Bowls

IngredientsAmounts
Cooked rice2 bowls
Carrot1
CucumberHalf
Chicken Thighs2 pieces
Mushrooms5 ~ 6
Big green onions1
Bean sprouts1 handful
Gochujang Paste2 Tbsp
Sugar2 Tbsp
Vinegar1 Dash
Water1 Tbsp


Optional: Sunny side up


  1. Boil a pot of water and bring the chicken thigh to cook over medium heat. Remove the chicken when fully cooked and soaked it in a pot of water for 5 mins. Shred the chicken.

  2. In another pot, bring water to boil. One at a time, blanch the shredded carrots, cucumbers, bean sprouts and mushrooms. Drain and set aside for cooling.

  3. Scoop the Gochujang paste and mixed it with sugar, vinegar and water.

  4. In a deep bowl, put in the cooked rice and arrange the shredded chicken, cucumbers, carrots, mushrooms and bean sprouts on top of the rice. Place the sunny side up in the middle of the arrangments.

  5. Add the ready mixed gochujang sauce on top of the egg and serve.





Makes 1 Pot

IngredientsAmounts
Water3 big bowls
Carrot1
Fresh fish fillets2
Kimchi Own preference

Green Onions

*Used the remaining for Bibimbap*


Seasoning: Sesame Oil, Salt, Soy Sauce, Chilli Powder


  1. Bring the water to boil. Add in the carrots and onions.

  2. Cut the fish fillets into small pieces and marinate with the usual seasoning like salt, peper and sesame oil. Set aside.

  3. When the combination in step 1 starts to boil, add in the kimchi.

  4. Turn the heat to low and allow to stew for 2~ 3 mins.

  5. Add in the marinate fish fillets and close the lid for further cooking.

  6. When the soup starts to boil, add in the chilli powder, some salt and soy sauce for taste.

  7. Allow another stewing of 2 mins on low heat. Serve






Both my Prince Charming and me love Korean cuisine alot, especially the stone grilled Bibimbap. I chanced upon this website that has many amazing and easy recipes for Korean cooking. I was eager to try all the recipes because they looked so delicious!

Anyway, I also visited this website " My Korean Kitchen" and found the recipe for the above Bibimbap sauce. I really like bibimbap so I told myself that I must defintely make this dish on our table today. LOL.

The recipe requires Gochujang paste which is actually Hot pepper paste. It can be found in OG Orchard and Carrefour. The paste taste abit like miso sauce in fact. I wonder if my taste buds were playing a prank on me because it was'nt spicy at all. Anyway, the sauce was so marvellous that we even licked our bowl after finishing the big portion of Bibimbap. I can say this is an easy and healthy meal, but you definitely need to spent some time shredding the vegetables like what I did. I started the preparation for like as early as 3pm and ended up finished cooking at 430pm. That equals to a total of 1 hr 30 mins for shredding and cooking both the Bibimbap and soup. I think I need to be faster.

The kimchi soup was nice too. It's good for cold weather! After drinking it, Prince Charming and I perspired so much that we had to take another shower even though we just had one earlier before our dinner starts. The kimchi added a tint of sourish taste to the soup and thus, it makes one's appetite increase. LOL. I think that's the reason why I could actually finished up my whole pot of rice!

I'm so in the mood for Christmas! My Christmas tree is finally up after the tedious setup yesterday night. We just need a couple of oraments to hang up onto the tree. I love CHRISTMAS!



4 comments:

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

It is amazing how the layout of your apartment is so similar to my brother's. You wouldn't be living in one of those new flats in Buangkok at any chance, would you?

Happy Mrs Kwok said...

Beau Lotus,
I'm so sorry that it took me almost 3yrs to reply you :S

So sorry!!! Hah, I think new flats in Singapore looks pretty the same? I'm staying in Sengkang! :D

beatrice said...

hi there may i know where you bought ur xmas tree?

Manfei Hu said...

Hi Beatrice,

We bought the X'mas tree in Carrefour. It's almost 4yo now! :)