Sunday, December 09, 2007

Basic Sponge Cake




Makes 10" Cake

IngredientsAmounts
Egg whites
Egg yolks4
Sugar1 cup
Cake flour1 cup
Baking powder1 tsp
Cold water4 tbsp


  1. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together. When the combination turns pale yellow, add in the cold water.

  2. Sift the flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the batter and blend well.

  3. In another bowl, whisk up the egg whites till stiff. Add the egg whites to the cake batter and fold in gently.

  4. Pour the ready batter into the cake pan and bring to bake at 160 degree Celsius for 35 mins.






This is one of the best sponge cake recipe that I have ever encountered! It's seriously very spongy and soft. I heart it lots. What's more it's foolproof!

I was trying to bake a sponge cake recently and no matter how I try to do, my cake wouldn't rise. Instead, the texture looked like it was as if a "huat kueh". It's so miserable you know. I was pondering what has gone wrong because I followed the recipe exactly. I had no choice but to use another recipe but I got the same texture again :(

I was really low and started surfing the net for more recipes. I came across this old site where I used to frequent for frostings recipes and I realised that they had a column for sponge cake. Without much hesitation, I clicked into it and found this recipe. It is truly nice and worth trying.

This cake is really heaven. I will definitely use it for my birthday cakes in the near future. I AM SO HAPPY! On another note, I am so angry with myself for throwing away the mahjong paper backdrop for my photoshooting! I had no choice but to use my placemats as the backdrop because the color red is really sparking and I thought it makes a good backdrop. Anyway, it wasn't that disappointing but I still prefers a white backdrop ;)


Updates: I think I get happy too easily :( After browsing through many sites about the tactics to make a good sponge cake, I realised that my so called "Perfect" sponge cake wasn't perfect at all. It just merely rose up like how a sponge cake should but the texture totally failed way beyond the passing grade.

A good sponge cake should looks like this:


A failed sponge cake looks like this:



Look at that! My sponge cake seriously looks exactly like the failed product! Arghhhh...
Why on earth did I realise only till now :( 知足常樂未必是種好事~

I need to brush my skills on cake baking. Serious practising! I MEAN IT!
Anyway, I learn that having a rough texture is due to the improper whipping of the egg whites. I guess, I have to start doing another sponge cake today.

Let's pray hard I'll get the right texture ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice background you have there! My wife is equally distressed that all her sponge cakes look like "huat kueh". Glad to have found your website and will try it this weekend. However, you seem to have forgotten to indicate how much egg white is required in the recipe...

Happy Mrs Kwok said...

Hi there,

Thanks for pointing out. It's 4 egg whits ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanx! Your blog is already on my bookmark list. :o)

Anonymous said...

Is this need butter or corn oil?

Anonymous said...

You ought to take part in a contest for one of the highest quality
blogs on the web. I most certainly will recommend this web site!


My homepage best seo soft